What is the maximum number of items that a SharePoint list can contain?
60 million items
What is the maximum number of lists that a single SharePoint server can host?
250,000 sites in a content database and 500 content databases in a farm
(Note: You don’t get more items in a content database by adding more lists. You need to add more content databases to store more content.)
Is there a limit to the size of the database?
While it is recommended to stick with 200GB for an active collaborative database, you can easily store up to 10TB in a single database. In fact, there is no limit for archive and large repositories using the “Document Center” and “Records Center” templates that meet the following criteria:
- Less than 5% of the content in the content database is accessed each month on average
- Less than 1% of content is modified or written each month on average
- Do not use alerts, workflows, link fix-ups, or item level security
How do I make my list scale into the tens of millions of documents or items?
You should add filtered views so the max number of items returned is less than 5,000 for folders, views, indexed columns, and avoid granular security in extremely large lists. Don’t stick with the default view. Create new views, such as a search style interface, or better yet, start with the document center or records center and then add max item counts in the list settings.
“The largest number of items per content database that has been tested on SharePoint Server 2016 is 60 million items, including documents and list items. If you plan to store more than 60 million items in SharePoint Server 2016, you must deploy multiple content databases.” – TechNet Capacity Boundaries and Limits
- 30,000,000 per library
- You can create very large document libraries by nesting folders, or using standard views and site hierarchy
- This value may vary depending on how documents and folders are organized, and by the type and size of documents stored
- 30,000,000 per list
- You can create very large lists using standard views, site hierarchies, and metadata navigation
- This value may vary depending on the number of columns in the list and the usage of the list
List view threshold
- Greater than 5,000
- Specifies the maximum number of list or library items that a database operation, such as a query, can process at the same time outside the daily time window set by the administrator during which queries are unrestricted
- When adding or removing a column index, the threshold is 20,000 by default
- When deleting a list or folder, the threshold is 100,000 by default
- When renaming a folder within the same library, the threshold is 100,000 by default
List view threshold for auditors and administrators
- Specifies the maximum number of list or library items that a database operation, such as a query, can process at the same time when they are performed by an auditor or administrator with appropriate permissions
- This setting works with Allow Object Model Override
If you’re looking for help with a SharePoint upgrade, contact the experts at Fpweb for a migration discovery. We’ve performed 5,000+ SharePoint migrations since 1999 and we use a combination of the best migration tools available. We’ll work with you to develop a thorough plan to upgrade your custom environment on-time and on-budget.